1. Wave-Maker Mentorship Program: Launches Fall 2022
This year, our Career and Alumni team worked with the CAP Alumni Advisory Alumni Council to define Wave-Maker Mentorship in preparation for the launch of our pilot program this fall.
Wave-Maker Mentorship is a partnership between Wave-Makers where insights and experiences are exchanged to develop opportunities for connection and community.
Mentors and mentees will work together through each of the following key components, which are meant to guide the relationship:
- Safe space: Mentors and mentees will create a safe space to foster the mentor and mentee relationship, creating authentic connections and building community through trust, non-judgement, respect, confidentiality, and unconditional acceptance.
- Empowerment: Mentors and mentees will have the agency to set clear goals for their interactions, which will be used to encourage one another and provide an exchange of information and tools to support in achieving results.
- Exposure: Mentors and mentees will partner with one another to develop more ways for mentees to get exposure to opportunities aligned with personal and professional interests, while amplifying and growing the Wave-Maker network.
- Continuous learning: Mentors and mentees will be open and committed to engaging in conversations with one another that allows them to learn and grow from different experiences and perspectives to be able to make informed decisions.
Are you interested in learning more and becoming a mentor? Submit our Wave-Maker Mentorship interest form and we will reach out to you with more information!
“Mentorship is important because it builds a sense of community and support with people who have similarities. Mentorship allows for us to continue to build, grow and prosper individually and as a community.”Karae H., Advisory Council lead
2. Alumni Coaching: Schedule your coaching call now
Coaching is a huge part of a Wave-Maker’s experience in Making Waves Foundation’s College and Alumni Program (CAP) and we’re here to continue supporting you in your post-college journeys!
Did you know that as an alumni, you still have access to a number of services which includes:
- 1:1 coaching,
- events, and
- the CAP Alumni Advisory Council.
Contact us for questions and/or support:
3. CAP Alumni Advisory Council: Connect with fellow alumni
The goal of the CAP Alumni Advisory Council is to provide a space for Wave-Makers to connect and build community with one another.
The group consists of councils leads and members that come together once a month to reflect, develop, and plan future ways to engage.
This year, the Council participated in a 3-part series of Virtual Healing Hikes, assisted with the development of this Wave-Maker Network Newsletter, and collaborated on ways to engage students and alumni.
A huge appreciation to our 2021-2022 CAP Alumni Advisory council leads and members:
- Damian G. (San Francisco MWEP, 2nd wave)
- Karae H. (Richmond MWEP, 8th wave)
- Lupita G. (Richmond MWEP, 11th wave)
- Brenda W. (Bay Area, 1st Wave)
- Guadalupe E. (Richmond MWEP, 10th wave)
- Luis E. (Making Waves Academy, 14th wave)
Serving on the Alumni Advisory Council is a great to get involved and give back to the Wave-Maker community. To join the Council, email Courtney at email@example.com.
“I joined the Alumni Council because I wanted to expand my network and share my experiences so Wave-Makers can learn from my mistakes and accomplishments.”Damian G., Advisory Council lead
ABOUT MAKING WAVES FOUNDATION
With a unique focus on college attendance and graduation, Making Waves Foundation supports historically underrepresented and underserved students in pursuing their dreams. Making Waves Academy is a public charter school in Richmond, California, educating more than 1,100 students and Making Waves Foundation’s college success program, known as CAP, provides coaching, scholarships, financial literacy, and career support for more than 500 college students as well as a network for more than 500 Wave-Maker alumni.
Alumni and Career Stories and Resources
December 27, 2023
December 7, 2023
March 10, 2023