Discovering Inner Forces: Purpose
Clarity of and commitment to making a meaningful contribution to the world
In a world that can feel increasingly chaotic and confusing, it can be easy to lose sight of what really matters.
That’s why it’s more important than ever to have a sense of purpose—a clear and inspiring reason for why you do what you do. When you know your purpose, you can approach the world with intention and focus, making a meaningful contribution to the lives of those around you.
There are countless benefits to having a sense of purpose. When you know your purpose, you:
- Feel more motivated and inspired to pursue your goals.
- Are more likely to persevere in the face of setbacks.
- Experience greater satisfaction and meaning in your work.
- Are more likely to make positive contributions to your community.
If you’re not sure what your purpose is, don’t worry — there are many ways to find it. Answering these questions can help you zero in on your purpose.
What am I passionate about?
- Think about the things that make you come alive. What activities make you lose track of time? These are all clues to your purpose.
- Consider what your strengths are. What are the things that come easily to you? What are the things that others always come to you for help with? Your strengths can also give you some clues as to what your passion might be.
- Pay attention to the compliments you receive from others. What do people always say you’re good at? What do they say you’re always drawn to? These comments can give you insights into your unique gifts and talents.
What do I want my contribution to the world to be?
- Think about the problems in the world that bother you the most. What issues do you feel called to address? Chances are, your sense of purpose is connected to making a difference in these areas.
- Take some time to reflect on the impact you wish to make. What do you want to be known for? What do you want to stand for?
Your sense of purpose is waiting to be discovered — all it takes is a little exploration on your part. Once you find it, hold onto it tightly; it will be your North Star, guiding you through even the darkest of times.
So what are you waiting for? Start searching for your purpose today!
In case you are still feeling stuck, here are a few more ideas to get you started:
1. Talk to people who are passionate about something
Oftentimes, the best way to find out if you’re interested in something is to talk to someone who is already interested in it. Ask them why they like it, what they get out of it, and what their favorite part is. You might be surprised by how much you have in common with them.
2. Try something new
It can be scary to try something new, but it’s also one of the best ways to find out what you’re passionate about. By trying new things, you open yourself up to new experiences and new perspectives. Who knows, maybe the thing you’re most passionate about is something you’ve never even heard of before!
3. Follow your interests
If there’s something you’ve always been interested in but never had the chance to explore, now is the time! Whether it’s a hobby or an academic subject, if you’re curious about something then go ahead and give it a try.
The worst that can happen is that you’ll find out it’s not for you—but chances are good that you’ll end up loving it!
Finding your passion can feel like a daunting task, but it’s important to remember that everyone has something they’re passionate about—you just haven’t found yours yet! By talking to people who are passionate about something, trying new things, and following your interests, you’re sure to find what gets you excited and makes you want to learn more.
So don’t give up — keep looking until you find your passion… it just may lead you to your purpose.
Co-authored with AI
Making Waves Education Foundation generated this text in part with artificial intelligence. Content has been reviewed, edited, and revised to our organization’s liking and we take ultimate responsibility for the content of this publication.
ABOUT MAKING WAVES EDUCATION FOUNDATION
At Making Waves, we are committed to educational equity. Making Waves Education Foundation is a Bay Area nonprofit that supports Making Waves Academy – a public charter school with more than 1,100 5th through 12th grade students – and leads college and career programming with more than 500 college students.
Knowing the opportunities that come with a college degree, we partner with historically underrepresented and underserved students to help make college affordable and graduation attainable. Centering the journeys of our students, our personalized approach includes college and career coaching, scholarships, and financial planning.
Our alumni network includes more than 600 college graduates, who earn their degrees and land jobs at more than twice the rate of their first-generation, low-income peers, with 84% graduating debt-free.
More College and Career Resources
Ten Tips to Help You Ace the Interview
April 7, 2023
So, You Didn’t Get the Internship. Now What?
February 22, 2023